Home | About us | Editorial board | Search | Ahead of print | Current issue | Archives | Submit article | Instructions | Subscribe | Contacts | Advertise | Login 
 
Search Article 
  
Advanced search 
  Users Online: 1281 Home Print this page Email this page Small font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size  
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2017  |  Volume : 21  |  Issue : 5  |  Page : 699-702

Postpartum follow-up in women diagnosed with subclinical hypothyroidism during pregnancy


1 Department of Endocrinology, Osmania Medical College, Hyderabad, Telangana, India
2 Department of Endocrinology, Army Hospital(R and R), NewDelhi, India
3 Department of Endocrinology, Andhra Medical College, Visakhapatnam, AndhraPradesh, India

Correspondence Address:
K Neelaveni
Department of Endocrinology, Osmania Medical College, Hyderabad, Telangana
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/ijem.IJEM_452_16

Rights and Permissions

Background: Management guidelines about the thyroid disease in pregnancy are silent about the postpartum course of new onset subclinical hypothyroidism (SCH). Hence, we analyzed the 2 years outcome of SCH diagnosed during pregnancy. Materials and Methods: We conducted this retrospective study using the medical records of patients with new onset SCH during pregnancy between 2010 and 2013 (n = 718). Patients who stopped their levothyroxine after delivery with a 2-year follow-up record were included. We excluded patients with known thyroid disorders and continuous use of drugs that affect the thyroid results. The patients were divided into two groups (Group 1 – euthyroid and Group 2 – hypothyroid) based on the final outcome after 2 years. The data were analyzed using appropriate statistical methods and a P < 0.05 was considered statically significant. Results: A total of 559 (77.8%) women stopped levothyroxine after delivery, and the final follow-up data were available for 467 patients only. At the end of 2 years, 384 (82.2%) remained euthyroid, and the remaining 83 (17.8%) developed hypothyroidism. SCH and overt hypothyroidism were seen in 22 and 61 patients, respectively. Group 2 patients had higher mean age (25.5 vs. 23.6 years), goiter (51 vs. 2%), initial thyroid stimulating hormone (7.9 vs. 5.1 μIU/mL), and thyroid antibody positivity (76 vs. 13%) (P < 0.001). Conclusion: The majority of patients with SCH during pregnancy remain euthyroid after delivery. Advanced age, goiter, positive family history, and thyroid autoimmunity increase the future risk of hypothyroidism in patients with SCH diagnosed during pregnancy.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed952    
    Printed9    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded208    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal